Thursday, September 6, 2012

Is 3D Television the Future for Sports?


I have personally never been that interested in 3D movies or television, probably because I don’t like the idea of having to wear the glasses.  But regardless of my opinion, the fact of the matter is that 3D programs is the future of the television and entertainment industry.  People can see 3D movies in theaters or even buy 3D televisions.

3D programs make audiences feel that much closer to the films or programs and make it more realistic entertainment.  One would think that providing people the opportunity to watch professional sports in 3D would be a great idea, because it is a way to enhance the game for the viewers, but right now the NFL is not that convinced.

Because the industry is still in the early stages of developing 3D programs, one NFL spokesman stated that he wanted to wait and see how quickly it takes for the technology to develop. Football is a fast-pass, action packed sport.  Plays can happen very quickly and stuff happens on the field, which I personally think might be difficult to watch in 3D.

Another issue that this article touches upon is the fact that when people are watching any program or sports game on their own television, chances are they are also on some other technology (iPad, iPhone, laptop) simultaneously.  In order for 3D programs to make an impression on people, they sort of need to devote a lot of attention to it, which is sometimes difficult to do at home.

Within the next couple of years I have no doubt that 3D television will exist within the majority of people’s homes, because this technology continues to evolve and better itself in a short amount of time. I found the NFL’s skepticism interesting however and it will be interesting to see within the next couple of years if NFL football will be broadcasted in 3D.

Article: http://deadspin.com/5884143/will-the-future-of-3d-sports-tv-ever-come-into-focus

No comments:

Post a Comment