Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Talking to Technology
While it is amazing to think that technology has evolved to the point where it can answer questions from people, how long will it take for humans to become totally dependent on machinery?
The iPhone 4s has made it possible for people to talk to “Siri” and about simple things such as direction, suggestions, and reminders, but as technology continues to improve what else will technology be able to do for us?
Today in class we watched a video promo for the “Google Glasses” which are expected to come out within the next year or so. To me a product like that seems a bit over the top. The New York Times article that I read refers to talking technology as a “disruptive idea” and I couldn’t agree more. Yes it’s efficient to ask a device for directions and have them regurgitated back to you, but is it really necessary? The more technology advances, the more people rely on such devices, and the less they think for themselves.
I also think it is funny to watch people talking to devices, but it seems like that might become the norm with the way things have been advancing. I also wonder how it will impact peoples interactions with one another. I guess only time will tell!
Reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/technology/nuance-communications-wants-a-world-of-voice-recognition.html?pagewanted=all
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment