Thursday, September 27, 2012

Technology Takes Over

I know we are supposed to be writing about new technologies and how it will impact the future, but when I stumbled across this article I couldn’t help but write about it.  Old technologies with new programs are equally capable of having an impact on society. It is obvious that the iPhone has taken technology to a whole different level, but it’s amazing to think of how it has impacted local businesses as well.  

The New York Times article titled “Last Call for College Bars” was not only entertaining but actually pretty accurate.  I have honestly never thought about how the new college trend impacted local bars and businesses.  I know that when I was an undergrad my friends would hang out together at a friends house and probably head to the bars around 11/11:30 at night, it’s the common thing to do.  People typically text each other to find out where and when they are leaving, and no one really “bumps” into people anymore, everything is pretty predetermined.  

Bars used to be a place to meet up with people but because of technology their role has changed.  Bars typically open around 7pm at the latest so between the hours of 7 and 11, they really aren’t doing that great of a business if students are more inclined to stay home with friends.  

Stephani Robson, a senior lecturer in the School of Hotel Administration at Cornell was quoted in the article saying “Students don’t need bars to create a community the way they used to” which is the sad truth.  As technology continues to develop people have become more and more dependent on it, which has resulted in limited one-on-one interactions. 

I am sensing a rather hostile trend in my posts towards technology, which I don’t mean to do because I am guilty of connecting with people mainly through my iPhone or the Internet.  It just amazes me how technology had impacted society and people’s interactions and frightens me to think that sooner or later people will become completely glued to all these different devices.  

Reference:  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/fashion/for-college-students-social-media-tops-the-bar-scene.html?pagewanted=1&_moc.semityn.www&ref=technology&adxnnlx=1348759192-%20mcyDiUMBfxVHv35zavwog




No comments:

Post a Comment